Sunday, November 11, 2007

Savoring the Moments

Sometimes I wish we could hold and capture every moment of a child's life to savor forever. And, I don't only mean the first time they roll over, the first time they sit up, the first time they crawl, and the first time they walk. I am referring to the moments that occur every single day at nap time and bed time. These are the moments at the end of a three hour period or at the end of a very long day that we sometimes long for, especially when we are not ourselves, and we aren't feeling the best. These are the moments that we often long to pass quickly because there are dishes to be cleaned and laundry to be folded. These are the moments that lead to complete peacefulness and solitude for everyone, baby or toddler, Mommy and Daddy.

But, it isn't just the moment that Annabelle falls asleep that I find so special. It is the moments that lead up to bedtime and nap time (even though I find nap time quite a struggle).

It is the way that Annabelle will walk from the living room to her bedroom at bedtime when asked, "Are you ready to go night night? Let's go to your bedroom and get ready for bed." I've just noticed that she's starting doing this within the past few weeks (probably right around Halloween).

It is the way that Annabelle will immediately hand me her paci (that she was sucking on seconds before) just as soon as her little head hits the boppy pillow when it is time for her to nurse before nap time and bedtime. It is this trust that she so completely has with me that she trusts me to hold and protect her paci until she is ready for it again before bed.

It is the way that Annabelle will fight sleep at nap time by babbling and sometimes shrieking "Da Da Da Da Da Da Da" very loudly, just as her eyes are too heavy to hold open any longer. And, how suddenly, her eyes are no longer heavy as she says, "Da Da Da Da Da Da Da." I will often have to look away from her to avoid eye contact just so I can laugh. If she sees me smile or laugh, she knows she's won me over, and it makes nap time that much more difficult.

It is the pleasure and overwhelming love that one feels by watching her baby sleep with her baby's knees pulled to her chest underneath her little body while she is lying on her tummy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you and I were thinking along the same lines in one of my entries today. At least making reference to the no nap serenade.

Jodi said...

How nice it was to hear from you! Thank you for your comment! It's nice to know there's another Annabelle out there...I thought I was the only one who spelled her name that way! I actually have two blogs on here, but you managed to find my "personal" blog, and I'm glad you did. I'm going to go through and read all your back entries now.....I hope we can keep in touch! :-)