Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What would YOUR Mama do?

During one of Annabelle's many time outs for the day, she found it necessary to color her bed rail AND a library book with a black crayon.

Before judging, please realize that I did not know she had crayons or books with her in bed in time out until after the fact. I don't allow toys or books in the bed during time out!

Well, I didn't realize until shortly before Daddy got home that she had colored on something other than paper. I told her then, "Annabelle, you know better. We only color on paper. That was wrong, and I am going to need to discuss your punishment with your Daddy when he gets home." Honestly, I didn't know the proper punishment as I first thought that Annabelle should return the book to the library and tell the librarian herself that she had colored in the book. But, then I thought, perhaps that is too harsh of a punishment for a three year old. Of course, I think Caillou on her favorite cartoon, Caillou, had to do something very similar when his sister, Rosy, and him tore a book when they were fighting over it.

I discussed her misbehavior with hubby shortly before Annabelle's bedtime when Annabelle was in a different room. It was shortly before our discussion that I realized she had colored the bed rail too! I told him I was thinking to tell her that we would return the book without reading it. He then said, "Well, if it had been me, my mom would have made me return it to the library and tell the librarian what I had done." I suspect this is probably something that hubby actually had to do!

When I approached Annabelle regarding the book again later and told her that we were going to return it without reading it, she cried wholeheartedly and told me, "I colored off the paper on accident." Of course, she didn't tell me this until I threatened to return the book to the library without reading it to her since we just checked it out today.

But, she seemed so sincere, and my heart melted for that little stinker. That was until I studied the book a little bit more and realized that she had specifically colored on a part of the book that had been torn off by someone else. Not to mention, she colored the bed rail ON PURPOSE!

So, we had the discussion yet again.


Mommy: Mommy wants you to tell me the truth because that is the right thing to do. Did you color on the bed rail on purpose or by accident?

Annabelle: On purpose.

Mommy: Why?

Annabelle: Because I didn't think you would see it.

Mommy: Okay, did you color on the book on purpose or by accident?

Annabelle: On purpose.

Mommy: Why?

Annabelle: Because I wanted to.

[Pause]

Annabelle: God and Jesus always know if I'm telling the truth, right?

Mommy: That is right.

[Pause]

Mommy: Now, we are going to return that book tomorrow without reading it, and you are going to tell the librarian that you colored on the book.

[Insert a lot of unnecessary crying because she didn't want to return the book without reading it!]

Mommy: [to hubby] Do you think she's going to actually get it?

Hubby: [whispering to Mommy] Only if you don't take your camera. I know you want to take your camera, don't you?

[Insert slap to hubby's face!]

Only kidding on the slap to hubby's face part, but he definitely deserved it! I should make him take her to return it.


So, just curious, what would YOUR Mama do?

2 comments:

Granddaddy said...

You know, I do not know what my Mama or Daddy would have done, as I do not remember anything much until I was in the First Grade, but I am sure I was talked to, and made feel bad if I had done anything. Later after 6 there was such a thing as switches, you know little limbs off of hickory trees, and you had to cut one down yourself and bring it to your parents. Always make sure you clean it good, so it would not hurt as bad. I really wonder about the complications of making her tell the library at such a young age, but at what age do you learn? Good Luck in your decision!!

Bebe Blogger said...

At Annabelle's age, my mom probably would have made me return the book and apologize to the librarian...then I would have been denied my favorite tv show!