
So we are not very far along on our homeschooling journey, but we are (hopefully) getting into the swing of things now. I am feeling completely at peace with the curriculum I have chosen for Annabelle. The guide I chose is a bit simple for her as it is geared for 2-5 year olds, but the Biblical aspect is so very rich that I do not want to skip it! So we are just beefing up the lessons a bit. In my opinion, I think 4-4.5 years old would be the perfect time to teach the lessons in the Little Hands to Heaven guide. Of course, every child is different.
This unit we learned how God blessed Abraham. Above, the girls are acting out the three men from heaven sent to Abraham. Annabelle did not want to be Abraham for some reason, so Sophia received the honorary role. Annabelle is one of the three men from heaven. She told the one acting as Abraham (aka Sophia) that God was going to give him a son. Sarah is right outside her tent (aka sand box) in the background laughing. If you don't remember the story, reread Genesis 18:1-10.
I was able to expand on the lesson for this day as I found information online on customary meals and practices during Abraham's time. We enjoyed bread (aka sandwich thins), honey, olive oil, raisins, cheese and milk for our lunch with Abraham and the three visitors under a tree. We did not use any silverware, and we washed our hands after eating. Annabelle reminded me that we forgot to wash our hands before lunch as was customary back then. And now for that matter! Oops! I doubt Abraham had a very cute tea tray and cute serving dishes back in his time though! Not to mention, he lived in a tent, so I doubt any brick houses were in sight!
I plan to update this post within the next week with more pictures from this lesson. It was such a fun and God honoring lesson!
We've also been chugging away on The Reading Lesson. Annabelle is currently studying Lesson 2. There are twenty lessons total, but each lesson is approximately 20 pages long. The recommended pace for a 5 year old is only 2-3 pages per day. I have been so impressed with how well she is doing so far. We started reading short sentences this week with consonant-vowel-consonant words (page 2-9), and she actually comprehended the story that she read without me even asking her to narrate. These are some very exciting and amazing times!
No comments:
Post a Comment