Friday, March 1, 2013

Corduroy

I haven't blogged in months!  I'm not sure why as it brings me much joy to share our journey with others, especially to encourage those who feel that God has led them to homeschool.  I am really loving Heart of Dakota, and I want to share it with everyone I know though I know curriculum choices have to fit the family personally.

Anyhow, as my baby is inching closer and closer to three years old, I am realizing that she is growing up way too fast and I'd hate to forget everything about her younger years when she's grown.  I feel that so much of my day is filled with cooking, cleaning and schooling Annabelle that Sophia is just along for the ride.  Unfortunately, I don't have those hours I had with Annabelle to read and play constantly.

After Annabelle's storytime lesson every day, I try to fit in a little storytime for Sophia as well.  I encourage her to go choose a book.  And she often comes back with the same books.  You know a book is a great book when you can read it over and over and over again and still love it!

Right now, Sophia's favorite books are Corduroy and A Pocket for Corduroy by Don Freeman.  I remember loving Corduroy myself when I was a little girl.  She often brings both of them to me at the same time.  Annabelle doesn't have the same love for Corduroy as Sophia and I do though.  She always says, "Corduroy!  Not again!" and then promptly leaves my lap to go play.  This is very unlike Annabelle to miss out on any story!

But what makes this time so special is that we always wrap up this Corduroy storytime with A Pocket for Corduroy, and the very last page has a picture of Corduroy and Lisa nuzzling noses.  Sophia always wants to nuzzle noses with me just like Corduroy and Lisa do in the story.  But, she insists that we keep our noses still!  Eskimo kisses are not allowed!  She tells me that Corduroy and Lisa are not moving their noses in the picture.  This always cracks me up that she follows what she sees pictured so closely!


Dear Sophia,

I love our special storytime together!  And I love to get my Corduroy kisses from you!  I know one day you will stop pulling the Corduroy books off the shelf.  And the Corduroy kisses will come to a screeching halt as well.  But maybe one day when you read A Pocket for Corduroy as a mama to your young child, you'll enjoy some more Corduroy kisses with your own special little one!

I love you sweet girl!

Mommy

2 comments:

Bebe Blogger said...

I love those sweet, tender moments! Something so simple can mean so much. We used to read Corduroy to Audrey in utero and, when she was younger, loved that book. I did, too. Looking forward to more blog posts from you! :)

Anonymous said...

I have 2 children the same age as yours (and also doing HOD). Could swap my kids names for yours in your blog.

...the first child really gets all the snuggly attention. It is amazing how busy I am now... have to make time for the little one.

I enjoy your blog, post more often! ;)
Raindrops from hod's message boards