Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hastings Nature & Garden Center

It was a beautiful day in the ATL! It was the last day of spring, and it felt like spring too with a cool morning and a less hot and less humid day. So, I decided that we definitely needed to take advantage of the beautiful weather! I am sure these days will be few and far between since tomorrow marks the first day of summer. Summers in Atlanta are always so hot and humid, and we have already had some almost record setting hot days over the past few weeks.

So, we made a trip to Hastings Nature & Garden Center off of Peachtree Road near Buckhead. Our neighbor across the street recommended it to me a few months ago. She told me that her and her daughter were going to a nursery where they had birds. Silly me said, "Oh, does it cost anything to get in?" I didn't comprehend what she meant when she said "nursery." I am sure I sounded like a complete ditz! She politely said, "No. It is like a Pike's Nursery." Of course, I know nothing about growing plants and flowers, and I definitely cannot keep them alive, so why would I ever know the meaning of "nursery" in those terms.

It was truly a beautiful nursery. They had a macaw, named Mickey, that said "hello" and some other beautiful and very colorful birds. Here is a picture of Mickey.
Here is the best picture I have of Annabelle with the other birds. I cannot remember their type though. And, this picture was actually taken as we were leaving because I wasn't courageous enough to pull the camera out when we first arrived (considering it is a business trying to make money). I don't think they intend to entertain for free! But, it works for me! And, you all know how very frugal I am! But, I still was not courageous enough to take the better camera. Maybe next time!

As I was trying to take a picture of Annabelle with the colorful and very playful birds, she proceeded to move closer to the cage, and she finally reached up to place her hands on the cage. I immediately snatched her hands away, and I did just in time because one of those birds snapped at Annabelle's fingers. She was very lucky he didn't get her! It did not scare her, but it definitely scared me. We had fair warning too because there was a sign saying "Do not place fingers near the cage."

Oh, and do you see the bird seed that has dropped on the floor in the above picture? The birds were eating while we were standing there saying our goodbyes and taking pictures, and every time they would drop a seed onto the floor, Annabelle would say, "Uh-oh." Too cute!

Annabelle loved the water fountains. She loved this one water fountain in particular with the birds built into the water fountain.

And the best thing about this nursery...they had a separate little garden to the side with a train! She loved it!
And, here she is watching the train go through the tunnel. It was so funny to watch her crouch down to watch the train go through.
She really enjoyed climbing and sitting on each and every bench. So, here is a picture of her practicing to be a little lady! I think she needs to work on it! What do you think?

This next picture is one of my favorite shots. I asked her if she wanted to walk across a little bridge (to get her up and moving from the bench she was standing near). She got to the bridge, and she plopped down right in the middle of the little bridge. This picture is of her watching one of the nursery workers water the flowers. Is that not one of the sweetest smiles?
As always, she loved the rocks, probably as much as the train. She would pick them up and then line them up on a wooden shelf that held the flowers. She was so proud of herself! I wonder where she gets those anal retentive tendencies to line things up. Does anyone know? It couldn't possibly be from her mother, could it?!?! Poor child! Does anyone else pray that their child will be nothing like them? Ha! Ha!

Is this next picture, you can see her collection of rocks lined up so nicely.

And here she is again completing her collection with even more rocks.

So, we enjoyed ourselves very much at Hastings! Thank you Hastings for providing free entertainment for the day. Maybe next time we'll buy some tomato seeds to plant.

P.S. They had goldfish and turtles too! And, they had a hot tub that Annabelle was attracted to for some reason. It looked a little odd there and out of place to me, but I guess it served its purpose for promoting sales. And, in the pond where the fish swam, there was one of those big balls that reflects the light (they are typical in gardens). It was silver, and she loved it! She's been talking about the "baal" she saw all day. Translation: Ball.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH! That may have hurt. I thought she was sticking her finger through the window at the Owl at Medieval Times the other night and grabbed her hand. She was more careful the next time when I realized it was just the bar and there was glass between us.
Those things have big beaks. I'm glad you caught her in time. Cute picture. Of course it is!

Jodi said...

How sweet she is!! I just love these pics.....expecially the very "ladylike" pose on the bench. What a precious little girl she is! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the one with the birds. She is being so gentle. Love these pictures you've added. Fun story and sounds like a fun trip.
She's so easily entertained...for now.

Tracey said...

Christopher would've chased the choo choo right into the tunnel - forget the chain. What a cool looking place.