Because little ears are listening, but most of all, they are understanding, even at the ripe young age of almost three in just a few short weeks.
And, a child's self-esteem apparently develops at an early age too.
Yesterday evening, we attended a Sunday School BBQ. Very shortly after we arrived, Annabelle spotted a little girl very close to her age and height, but probably a tad bit older and taller. The little girl was running towards the picnic tables (probably to find her parents). Well, Annabelle took off after her. As soon as she reached her, she patted her on the arm to let her know that she was there.
The little girl paid her absolutely no attention, and she took off in another direction. Annabelle once again followed her. I think at that point (a) the little girl was too quick and Annabelle lost sight of her or (b) Annabelle was distracted by something else or (c) we called her over to discuss eating dinner.
I never did see her try to play with that little girl again though. But, on the way home, I had the following conversation with hubby.
Mommy: (Repeated a version of the same story above laughing as I talked about it). She wanted to play with that little girl, but the little girl wanted nothing to do with her. She didn't want to play with Annabelle.
Annabelle: Who didn't want to pay with me Mommy?
Apparently, the expression in her voice when she asked that question was enough to break hubby's heart. He looked at me with such sadness. Then, I had to tell my sweet daughter a white lie because I realized then that I had hurt her feelings with my comment.
Mommy: I wasn't talking about you sweetheart.
Hopefully I've learned my lesson! She picks up on just about everything I or anyone else says!
When is she going to learn not to tell me "my heiny is tiny, your heiny is BIG Mommy!"
By the way, is "heiny" a real word? I cannot find the spelling anywhere!
2 years ago
1 comment:
Man, I am always learning this lesson over and over again! Thanks for the reminder!
And I have no idea how to spell hiny. Heiny. ?? Spell check is underlining both, so maybe it's just not a word.
Post a Comment