Saturday, May 19, 2012

Strep Throat

Annabelle and I both have strep throat.  This is yet another first for Annabelle (and I wish last, but that is doubtful)!  Annabelle has apparently had it since last Saturday or at least that is when the symptoms began to show.  Though I didn't realize until yesterday when my own sore throat and fever were not lessening that we both probably had strep.  (I started getting sick myself on Wednesday).  I checked her throat and noticed it was red and swollen with white spots and I was completely convinced.  I called the doctor immediately without hesitation which is very odd for me to do as I very much do not like to spend $80+ to find out my children have a virus.

I forgot how absolutely horrible and painful this can be.  Though apparently I am the only one in complete misery!  If only adults could fight illnesses like a child...running full speed ahead with a temperature of 100+ degrees with only the occasional complaint of a sore throat.

Annabelle's symptoms started last Saturday when she woke up at 4 a.m. complaining of a tummy ache and sore throat.  She then spent the next six hours vomiting.  And then she seemed fine besides the typical puniness.  I thought her throat had been sore from the vomiting since she only had acid on her stomach when she first started vomiting.  Apparently I was wrong!

She gradually got better, then she got puny again after her ballet dress rehearsal on Wednesday.  But she still didn't complain of a sore throat again.  She even performed beautifully for her ballet recital on Thursday!  I guess the dose of Tylenol an hour before the recital did the trick.  I never would have exposed all of those children if I had known she had strep throat!  I really didn't understand what was going on because the only time I ever noticed a fever was Saturday night when she woke up from a night terror.

But now we are both attempting to recover with our free meds of Amoxicillin from Publix!  Thank goodness for free prescriptions!  There is nothing worse than paying $118.45 for a visit to the doctor for yourself to get a prescription when you already know you have strep throat because your daughter was already diagnosed earlier that morning.  The kicker is that my rapid strep test actually showed up negative!  Fortunately the doctor still prescribed the meds since he said it looked just like strep throat.

Annabelle's pediatrician also checked Sophia which I wasn't counting on.  The rapid strep test showed up negative for her.  I should have just refused as that will just cost me another office visit for her as well.  Apparently, children under the age of 3 rarely get strep throat.  It is more common in children between the ages of 5 and 10 years of age.

Aaahhh!  The joys of a school age child!  $250+ later!

Though I sound like I am complaining the entire post, I do actually see the silver lining.  I am still in a lot of pain myself and my patience with the kids is absolutely horrible, but I know if Annabelle had not shared the love (as the lab tech at the pediatrician's office asked her), I would have never known she had strep throat until she only got worse.  I guess God does work in mysterious ways!

2 comments:

Bebe Blogger said...

Aw, I'm so sorry y'all have strep! No fun. Audrey is under the weather as well. Bad cold. Hope you & Miss Annabelle feel better soon! Thank goodness Sophia and hubby are alright.

Grandmomma said...

"Grandmama let me do it." To which you should have replied, "If your friend (or Grandmama)told you to jump off the bridge," would you have done it just because she told you to?

I believe my reaction to her spreading herself over the top of the table was, "Annabelle...get down! Now!" To which she responded to by -- ignoring me, maybe? Since I'm not allowed to beat her :-)I figured I had covered my liability for any broken bones your sweet little girl might have incurred because she ignored me.

And did you think by adding that later your Mother would never find that little comment? Probably wouldn't have had you not added pictures, but they caught my eye and so did the remark Annabelle made!

Cute pictures, by the way, which I'm sure I'll never get copies of!