Monday, August 18, 2008

Eskimo Kisses and Butterfly Kisses

Annabelle has been keeping her Mommy's mind spinning again. Over the past few weeks, since we got back home from Jacksonville, Florida, she has decided that she doesn't want to nap until closer to 3:00 p.m., and THEN, she stays up until 10:00 p.m. even when I attempt to lay her down between 8:30 and 9:00 p.m. She then sleeps until 8:30 a.m. or later, and as a result, we cannot start our days until 10:30 or 11:00 a.m. since she insists she must take forever to eat her breakfast! She even takes longer to eat than her Mommy, and her Mommy eats very, very slow.

So, I am afraid that her afternoon naps are slowing diminishing. I'm not sure yet if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Since I'm still quite selfish (she's making me work on this), it is a bad thing if we're at home because I don't get any down time to pay bills, wash dishes, prepare dinner and play on the internet (sad, but true). If we're out and about, it is a wonderful thing because I don't have to worry about naptime, and we can run around on my schedule. Again, this is all me being selfish.

I wonder if I am actually the one who has ruined her from her naps. While we were in Jacksonville, she rarely ever napped. It wasn't because I didn't want her to, but it was because we were out and about during the beginnings of naptime, so when I finally did lay her down, she was probably overly tired, and she could not fall asleep.

So, long story short (or actually long), my whole point of the story is to remind myself once again to enjoy every single moment I have with my sweet (well, most of the time), beautiful and precious daughter.

This evening, I heard her crying around 9:30 p.m. while I was trying to watch "John and Kate Plus Eight" on television. I ran in to check on her, and by the time I opened the door, she had stopped crying, but it was too late. She had spotted me, and she wanted me to "wok" her. "Wok me Mommy, wok me."

So, I lifted her out of the crib, and I proceeded to rock her. But first, she had to make sure that Teddy laid his head down on my shoulder first because I tell her now (since we started this whole "wok" me business after she's gone down for the evening) to "lay her head down on my shoulder." She points to each shoulder separately, and then she props Teddy's head on my shoulder. She's such a good Mommy! It brings tears to my eyes!

So, tonight, while we rocked, I started asking her to kiss different parts of my face. I told her to kiss my cheek, and she'd lean in and kiss my cheek with the sweetest little kiss. Then, I'd tell her to kiss my forehead. She first pointed to my forehead, and then she would kiss my forehead. She thought it was so much fun!

Then, I showed her how to give Eskimo kisses and butterfly kisses. Those were also very silly to her. She just giggled.

It brought tears to my eyes as I realized that one day I will no longer get these Eskimo kisses and butterfly kisses from my little girl because one day she'll be all grown up and married with a family of her own. I realize how much both of my parents probably long for a longer hug instead of the usual "goodbye" hug, but after their daughter grew up and became more independent, those hugs became shorter and shorter, and the kisses became virtually non-existent.

Isn't it a shame that we don't hug our loved ones a little more? I guess the love is just known, but sometimes it really makes a difference to give someone a hug that lasts more than just a second.

Hugs and kisses from afar to my Mommy and Daddy! I love you both very much, and I appreciate all of the love you both have shown me through the years. Thank you for letting go of those Eskimo and butterfly kisses to let me grow into a very independent woman. But, please know that I love you more than I probably ever show!

And, to my sweet and beautiful daughter, I'll always love you, and I know that one day you'll no longer give me Eskimo kisses and butterfly kisses, but I'll always cherish these memories forever and always! Hopefully one day though, your own daughter or son will give me Eskimo kisses and butterfly kisses to refresh my memory of the love shown through a child.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

I feel you on the nap thing!!! I've started making C have a "quiet time" where he sits on his blanket with a pillow and books and he "reads" his special books. He LOVES books with flaps he can open (has to be interactive b/c he's a boy).

BUT if we are out and about he will ZONK out in the car.

We were reading together yesterday (a new found love since weaning) and he fell asleep on me. I realized those are starting to get rarer. As my friend calls this time - the next baby trap ;) HUGS! Our little ones are growing up!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet thoughts. And yes,they do grow up way too fast and develop their own little independance. But you do have her older years to look forward to when she finally comes to her senses once again! Thanks for the hugs and kisses. We love and always have loved getting them from you anytime. Why do you think Daddy and I always fight to make sure we get our "equal share" of hugs and kisses and when we part we just keep holding on to you? Now you know. Love you bunches. And hugs and kisses to you, too!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is nice to receive hugs and kisses!! I guess when you get older when growing up you grow out of that stage. But just a Big Hug is just fine with me!! When we go out walking in the mall, we see all of these young people that are handicaped, and are living in some group home, then I am Thankful that you and your brother did grow up and now have your own lives. Love to you too!! Dad

DADDY BELLE said...

What about higs and kisses from your wonderful husband?!?