Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Office

I took Annabelle to the office with me this morning to drop off a tax return that I spent all night finishing up for the 9/15 deadline! Lovely!

As a side note, I am STILL trying to figure out why some people are still employed in this economy. And, I've wondered many times why they keep me around for the 0-5 hours I work every week when they've actually had to let other people go due to lack of work.

Well, now I know! A tax return that should have literally taken me 3 hours max from start to finish ended up requiring 14.15 hours of my time (beginning the work Sunday at 1:20 p.m.). The tax return was not finished until 2:00 a.m. this morning (deadline day)! Nothing was clean, and like I said, I am still trying to figure out why some people are still employed in this economy!

And, this big of a return should never have waited until the weekend before the deadline! Again, this was no fault of mine. I have been waiting on the financials from this employee since a month ago.

And, just for the record, it did take me only 3 hours from where the financials should have been when I first received the work from this employee. So, it isn't me! I'm not that slow! Why would anyone leave $14,000 in Miscellaneous Expense for a check written to "Cash" and not question it? Sheesh!

So, once again, I digressed. Now for the story I logged into blogspot to blog about.

While we were walking from the parking deck towards my office building, Annabelle was once again enthralled by my very tall office building. I don't blame her. If you are familiar with the Atlanta area, then you are probably familiar with the King and Queen buildings. I used to always want to work in those fancy, tall buildings. I don't know why, maybe because they seemed impressive like you worked for someone really important. Well, I got my wish, but by the time I got my wish, I didn't really care any more. You see, working is more of a hassle now because it adds to my stress level and my life seems to completely fall apart during tax deadlines. I ask myself often, "Is it really worth the additional cash?" And in all honesty, it isn't the cash, it is the security, just knowing that if something tragic were to happen, I would hopefully at least have a rather part-time job, if not full-time job to pay the bills.

So, all that being said, as we were making our way down the walkway, Annabelle had the following to say.

"When I'm a Mommy" *pause* "and have babies" *pause* "I want to work in an office too."

Really? So, she thinks working in an office is fun.


Dear Annabelle,

I hope you'll learn that you should become independent and take care of yourself. I hope you'll do your best to never depend on anyone else, financially that is. And, that is besides your husband, if you do choose to stay home. Hopefully you'll still have that freedom and choice when you have babies of your own. I'm doubtful these days though as our freedoms seem to be taken away one by one and no one even notices.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to watch your babies grow every day. I hope that you'll take the time to enjoy your children (if you do decide to have children of your own).

I wish I knew what the future held for you. I hope you'll always follow your heart. But, I hope you will learn that some things are just not that important. I am still trying to figure that one out!

I am very thankful that I have been fortunate enough to stay home with you. There isn't a day that goes by when I'm at the office that I don't question myself, "Is this really worth it?" I feel that many precious moments with you are lost because of those tax deadlines. And, sometimes, it is simply because I don't have the patience with you that I normally would have because of the stress and lack of sleep.

I don't think it is possible to be "great" at many things. I've always tried to be "great" at everything I've done. But, as a mommy, I realize how difficult that is now. There are just too many things to strive to be "great" at when you are a Mommy.

I hope and pray that you'll be happy in life no matter what road you take.

Love you forever and always sweet girl!

Mommy

3 comments:

DADDY BELLE said...

Annabelle,
As I also pray for your (and Mommy's) happiness more than you will ever know, I hope and pray that you realize what a wonderful Mommy you have. She is what keeps our family together and she loves you without question or concern for herself.

Daddybelle

Tracey said...

C saw the Queen and King for the first time the other day and was in AWE. He asked to climb them. I guess from 285 they look somewhat smallish - to a 3.5 yr old child with a sense of adventure.

I miss my freelance but I just don't have the capital to sink into new training, software and a new computer and other equipment I would need. Guess that's why I shop at the thrift stores so much ;)

Kami said...

That tax return sounds like a bear! $14K miscellaneous to cash? Huh? They might as well have adjusted retained earnings! That is my personal favorite client mistake. :)

Annabelle sure is a cute girl! I bet she wants to work in an office because that is what Mommy does and she wants to be just like you! How sweet.