Those long and luscious eyelashes are going to get Annabelle in trouble one day! And, today was absolutely no exception.
Annabelle and I were both in her bedroom this morning. I was folding clothes directly from the dryer in her room, and Annabelle was lying on the floor looking at a picture. Sophia was awake and starting to fuss from her swing in her bedroom.
Then Annabelle started crying and yelling, "I can't open my eye! I can't open my eye!"
I looked down to see Annabelle rubbing her eye. I knelt down beside her and tried to help her open her eye. I couldn't!
And, her top eyelashes were literally sealed underneath her bottom eyelid and on top of her eyeball. No joke! Have you ever seen that? How does that happen?
I freak! Calmly and quietly on the inside though. I ran and grabbed a wet cotton ball and literally tried to help Annabelle pry her eye open. It would NOT open!
I see blood! I freak some more! But again, calmly and quietly. I thought she had poked herself in the eye with the picture.
I called hubby. "Um, I think Annabelle has poked herself in the eye with something."
"Do you need me?" he asked.
"Yes," I replied.
I grabbed Sophia who was dressed in a diaper only and placed her in her car seat. I called out to Annabelle the entire time. "Keep your eye closed. I'll be right back. I am going outside to get Sophia in the car."
Then I come back for Annabelle who is, by the way, staying very calm. She is crying, but thankfully not screaming. She was a brave soul! I carried her to the car, still in her pajamas with bare feet.
Both kids are now in the car ready to go. I am still calm. Worrying about the worst, but still fairly calm.
I called her doctor's office quickly from outside of the car and spoke with a nurse. She said since they didn't have an appointment open immediately that I should go immediately to the ER since I thought I saw blood.
So, I crank the car and off we go. But, wait, I don't know how to get to the ER closest to our house! I called hubby again.
"We're off to the ER. How do I get there?" I asked.
He calmly gave me directions (even though I knew I had him scared to death).
As we near the Chick-fil-A at the first light leaving our neighborhood, Annabelle has stopped crying. I started asking her questions, but I continued to ask her to keep her eyes closed.
Mommy: Did you poke yourself in the eye with something?
Annabelle: No.
Mommy: Are you sure? Did you poke yourself in the eye with the picture you were looking at?
Annabelle: No. I was just rubbing my eyes.
[Pause]
Annabelle: Mommy, I see different colors. Yellow, orange and black.
Mommy: [Again, freaking a little.] Really? Well, just keep your eyes closed. Are you sure you didn't poke yourself in the eye with something?
I didn't think I could stand to see blood in her eye while driving down the road.
Annabelle: Yes.
I look back again after we had made a few turns. And, her eyes were open. And, I did NOT see blood!
I called hubby and asked where he was. He was only a block behind us! Someone used excessive speed to get home (if you ask me). I told him I was about to pull over to check out Annabelle's eyes as they were now open, and I didn't see blood.
I pulled over, and she was absolutely fine!!! I guess the blood I saw was the normal blood from the inside of her eye.
I have no clue what she did, but she freaked me out a little. I have learned the following.
(1) I need to drive to the hospital myself so I know, without a doubt, how to get there in case of an emergency.
(2) I need to plug in a phone to our home phone jack in case of a serious emergency where I need to call 911. We do not have a home phone, but the phone service cannot be disconnected completely as it is required that 911 still be accessible from home. I have problems locating my cell phone when in a panic, so I think this is a must.
(3) Get everyone dressed from head to feet as soon as possible every morning, including teeth brushed! Otherwise, an ER or doctor's visit may be a little embarrassing. We were all still in our pajamas. Well, I had thrown on a pair of shorts since I sleep in t-shirts, and our front door has windows where people can see inside if they are simply knocking. But, I wasn't looking too hot to say the least in my t-shirt, jean shorts and TN orange flip flops! Of course, I haven't looked too hot since Sophia was born!
2 years ago
2 comments:
I, too, have had my share of freak out moments since having children. I guess that when Annabelle rubbed her eye, her eyelashes got caught under her eyelid. And I agree--it's always good to know where the nearest ER is and how to get there. When we went to Edisto Island last summer for a family reunion, we were walking along the beach, and a huge wave came, so Chris grabbed Noah a little too hard by the arm. He started screaming, but the nearest hospital was 1 hour away and we had no idea how to get there. The EMT were great though, and gave us directions. As it turns out, Noah was fine and we didn't go to the ER with him, but we went two nights later when I feel down the stairs and sprained my ankle!
Oh, this entry totally had me on the edge of my seat! Thank goodness it was nothing. You must have felt 1000% relieved!
Post a Comment