Who'd thought we would pick the most popular baby name for any of our children? We definitely were avoiding a popular name 4 years ago when we picked Annabelle. And oddly enough, Annabelle is now listed as one of the top 100 baby names for 2010, with a rank of 69 to be exact! Seriously folks? You couldn't be original when you chose that name? I never knew another Annabelle until after Annabelle was born!
http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-2010
We were definitely not going with the popularity of the name when we chose it 4 years ago. I always hated that I was one of 4 _ _ _ _'s in every class, or so it seemed.
But, we chose Sophia because it is such a beautiful name, and we just liked the antique charm of the name. And since Annabelle has its own antique charm, Sophia was a nice match. And, honestly, we already knew it was on the top 10 list for 2009. Who'd thought Sophia would be the #1 name for 2010 though! I think we'll definitely start calling her Sophie now as Sophie is ranked way down on the list to #45.
Of course, I think all of my favorite names are on the top 100 list because apparently antique charm is the rage.
I am going to seriously have to think up something original before our next girl comes along? Hmmm. How does Drucilla sound? I don't think we can get much more original! And it still has a little antique ring to it, doesn't it?
I bet that name will never top the top 100 list! But, I bet she'd be one sweet and determined young woman one day! Because you see, that was my grandmother's name. And you cannot get any more precious than her. Annabelle was almost Samantha because my grandmother's name was Drucilla Samantha. Unfortunately, hubby butchered the name Samantha long ago so I had a hard time getting past his sense of humor. And he had to butcher it pretty bad for me not to want to use the name because I absolutely adored that woman!
2 years ago
2 comments:
Thanks for remembering Mama Gordon, and truthfully she was the best Mother In Law any Guy could ever want. We called her "Go", because she was always ready to "Go" if we were going on even a short trip to the Grocery Store, or on a Long Trip. She always enjoyed having time to talk about trips we planned to take them on, and afterward, remembered the trips for many years afterward.
I loved the name Samantha when I was younger. I can't picture Annabelle as a "Samantha". Hubby butchered Caroline for me, although I can see Audrey having been a Caroline. I think it means "little and womanly". Those classic names are definitely making a come-back, as well as "last name" names, like Harper.
Post a Comment