Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sleep Training Day 2 - Naptime

Yes, I know, I wasn't planning to let Annabelle "cry it out" for naptime, but my gut told me otherwise...only for one reason though. She nursed herself asleep, and then she awoke when I laid her down, so I picked her up (I know, bad, bad), and I tried to nurse and rock her back to sleep. But, she only wanted to stay wide awake.

So, I told her, "Mommy loves you very much. Do you know that?" And, she nodded her head yes. I then told her that "Mommy is going to lay you down in the crib. If you need another paci, there are two more pacis right next to your bunny rabbit in the crib." Well, that set her off, and she wanted to get down from my lap to go and get the other pacis. I don't know why she needs to hold all of them at the same time, but once she sees or hears of another paci, she wants it.

So, I laid her down at 1:05 p.m., and I left the room with her screaming again in objection. Fortunately, this time she was not screeching like she did last night. We started the whole rocking and nursing process around 12:30 p.m. I thought a good nap from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. would be perfect in order for her to go down to bed this evening around 8:30 p.m.

So, I walked out of the room at 1:05 p.m. and closed the door behind me, but this time I left it cracked so I could watch her from a distance without her seeing me. At 1:06 p.m., the screaming has decreased, and by 1:07 p.m., she has completely stopped crying and she is laying on her stomach in the fetal position. I checked on her again at 1:15 p.m. because I heard her Fisher Price Aquarium start playing. She was still in the fetal position, but it looked like she was still trying to get comfortable as she moved around a little bit. Maybe she kicked the Aquarium into action?

I just got word earlier today that Annabelle's Daddy may be heading home tonight (earlier than expected). I hope that him being home doesn't actually make her think that if she screams longer, he'll come and rescue her. I know he's not going to enjoy the screaming either...it will break his heart!

Shall I go have some more Tutti Fruity Cake? I definitely should post that recipe for everyone. It is to die for, and I think my husband is going to request it every birthday from here on out. I've only been promising to make it for him for 8 years!

Okay, I better go run and take care of more wifely duties, like paying some bills before the little one decides to get up. I'm wondering if I should leave her in the crib for a designated length of time (such as 2 hours) until she adjusts to her new sleeping habits.

I just checked on her one last time around 1:30 p.m., and she was stirring again, but this time, I saw that her eyes were open. She looks like she's trying to go to sleep though. Again, still stirring at 1:37 p.m. I think I'm done checking for awhile.

No comments: