On Saturday, we decided to go to the Yellow Daisy Festival at Stone Mountain Park to check it out. Neither of us (nor Annabelle) had been before, so we wanted to see what all of the fuss was about. According to the website, it has been voted the Nation's #1 Arts & Crafts Show five years in a row by Sunshine Artist Magazine. Of course, I know nothing about that magazine, but it still sold me!
The traffic just to get into the park was backed up on to the interstate! This is wild because on a normal day, you can drive right up to the gate entry. We did enjoy ourselves very much though even though we didn't spend a whole lot of money (besides the $8 we spent on chicken fingers and french fries to split between the three of us). The chicken basket with fries was a serving enough for one person, but fortunately, I packed a leftover peanut butter and honey wrap, apples, waters and a fruit cup for Annabelle. The extras I packed along with all of the snacking we did at the different booths, provided us with plenty of nutrition (or lack thereof) to make it through the day from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. If we had purchased bottled waters at the festival, they would have cost us $3 per bottle!
Annabelle had her very first silver dollar pancake. She's had regular pancakes previously. She also had her very first Snowie (aka snow cone or snow cup) flavored with a mix between pina colada and grape, which she loved and could not get enough of. I think her Daddy really wished he had bought Annabelle her own! We split the $3 Snowie three ways.
Of course, she starting asking for her first Icee at the last Braves game we attended even though she didn't even know what it was. She spotted the guy carrying the Icee's around at the ballgame, and she said, "Peas, Peas, Peas." Both hubby and I ignored her. We weren't about to spend $10 (probably more like $5 in reality) on an Icee for an almost two year old at a ballgame when we could purchase one for $1 at Target!
But, the best part of our day was when Annabelle said, "Go Balls!" Hubby left me to watch Annabelle while he sampled around one of the larger sample booths that I had already sampled. While he was gone, I showed Annabelle her Daddy's water bottle, and I pointed to the Power T (which stands for the University of Tennessee) on the water bottle. I proceeded to ask her the color of the Power T. She immediately lifted her arms up in the air, and she said, "Go Balls!"
Translation: Go Vols!
How on earth she made the connection that the Power T stood for "Go Balls!," I do not know. I could understand the connection if we pulled out the orange and white shakers, but I don't recall ever showing her a Power T and then saying "Go Vols!"
It was a wonderful moment though! Probably more because I knew that she was going to make her Daddy's day! Not that she really has any clue what she's saying, but it is a start, right? When her Daddy came back from his sampling, I tried to get Annabelle to show off her new talent, but she instead just smiled pretty for him like she normally does. She finally did say, "Go Balls!" and her Daddy said, "I may just have to buy you a puppet now." Two little boys next to us were playing with puppets, and Annabelle just loved watching them.
Of course, her Daddy never did follow through with his promise. He asked the grandmother how much they cost, and he decided that $9.95 was just too much money to spend on his little girl. His justification: "She won't know the difference. She wouldn't really play with the puppet anyhow."
Of course, I think he's wrong because I think she really would have enjoyed playing with the puppet. But, her Mommy's too cheap, and her Mommy didn't make the promise!
I suspect next year that Annabelle will not let her Daddy get away with breaking another promise. I think I'll remind her next year at the Yellow Daisy Festival to say, "Go Balls!"
2 years ago
3 comments:
Cute! Keep writing. I know she won't remember most, if any, of these memories but you will and you can remind her. It's always fun to spend the time together just watching her and seeing all those cute things she says and does, isn't it? Just remember when the next one comes along, he/she will also need those memories, too.
Actually Dear, I do remember discussing it with you and you being the one who said, "she won't remember it." Don't try to blame this one on me...
Post a Comment