Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fernbank Museum Take 2

Back in April, on one of those days that I thought I was for sure delivering baby #2 (but I didn't), I found an awesome deal on an annual family membership to Fernbank Museum. I think I paid $35 for a membership that costs $85. I was having contractions, but I took the time in between contractions to get my groupon! And for that I am thankful!

We took the girls on Father's Day for the very first time ever. Annabelle really enjoyed the gecko exhibit they have going on, so I've intended to take her back for awhile. So today I took my friend, Kelley, her two kids, Pierce and Adie, Kelley's sister, Michelle, and Michelle's two kids, Sydni and Wyatt. It ended up only costing them for one adult because my membership covers two adults (including myself) and up to four kids. Adie is under three, so she was free. And Sophia was of course free as well.

Annabelle loved the gecko exhibits again. Her attention span quite frankly stinks these days though. I am hoping it is just the age. She spent more time running from exhibit to exhibit than she did looking at the geckos. She does love the computer learning resources though. As soon as she spotted one that she had remembered from our last visit, she ran straight for it. She insisted on wearing her fancy hat again. She wanted to wear it to show Adie because Adie gave it to her for the tea party she had at her 2nd birthday party.


Annabelle adores Adie even though she is 16 months younger than her. So she insisted that Adie needed to hold her hand even though Adie was not that interested. I think she may have actually had something to do with Adie getting upset and sitting in her stroller to cry shortly after this next picture, but I never got a direct answer from Annabelle on it. Perhaps it was just a coincidence. Annabelle is such a loving girl and always wants to hold hands with her friends. She hasn't realized yet that her friends don't always want to hold her hand.

Sophia, much like her older sister, does not like to miss a thing! She had not napped since she woke up this a.m. at 7:45 a.m., and we met everyone at Fernbank at 10:00 a.m. She would get a cat nap in here and there, but she mostly wanted to be held upright. She was a hit with the other kiddos though. Pierce, Kelley's oldest child and the oldest boy pictured below, is such a sweetheart to her. He is so gentle with her. Annabelle may have to fight Sophia one day for his hand in marriage though because he may already have his eye on Sophia! LOL! Here is the gang swarming Sophia while waiting in line for our free hot dogs. It was Free Hot Dog Wednesday as well!
I finally swaddled Sophia after I finished eating my one hot dog lunch. Perhaps that is why I got a massive headache later in the day. I guess being cheap doesn't always pay off when my health suffers, does it? As usual, I think I got a few looks after she had been swaddled, and Kelley and I discussed how she looks like she's in a straight jacket. But, swaddling works and I swear by it since it has worked awesomely with both my girls. Sophia fought being swaddled at first when she was a newborn, but once I figured out the correct way from "The Happiest Baby on the Block," we have been golden ever since! And she slept like a champ after she was swaddled today.

And then we visited a different exhibit geared more for older children, but Annabelle still seemed to enjoy herself despite the lack of age appropriateness and hopefully she learned something along the way. Here she is blowing bubbles while I attempted to teach her about gravity and white light. So if she pipes in one day using the word gravity, you'll know where she got it.

As for the daycare children visiting this exhibit at Fernbank today, do parents no longer teach their children manners and respect for their elders? One child in line behind Annabelle at the bubbles turned to me and said, "Let someone else have a turn now! It is Ethan's turn. Let someone else have a turn!" I, of course, had to put that stinker in his place. Annabelle had waited patiently for her turn in line, and she hadn't been playing for long at all. And, another girl came over and took a wand at one of the centers away from Annabelle and said, "Can I have this now?" I spoke up and said, "No. She was here first."

And here is my little dinosaur!


Here is the gang as we were leaving. Sophia is the only one missing. Look who is tired! She doesn't ever show it though until we set foot in the car, and then it is always meltdown time. Annabelle runs full speed ahead and then crashes. But, she still refuses to take a nap. She did heed my advice and spent a little time alone in her room this afternoon reading books and playing with puzzles for "quiet time" while I tried to rest my pounding head.


Annabelle found some shade under a beautiful pot of flowers that she sat under last time as well. It apparently didn't bother her to take her shoes off and walk bare footed on the hot concrete. Sydni tried to do the same but realized it was too hot for her feet. I suspect it would have probably been too hot for my feet too! In this picture Annabelle is being a goofball. "Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese!" she exclaimed.


And until our next visit to Fernbank, we have the memories from today! I love being a mommy to these sweet (and sometimes obnoxious) girls!

1 comment:

Kelley Payne said...

Jenn,
We had so much fun with you guys at "Funbank" as Wyatt called it! Thank you so much for letting us go with you & use you pass! Adie spent all night talking about the lizards and the dinosaurs and Pierce told was telling his daddy all kinds of cool facts that he learned. It was right up his alley!
Michelle & I both agreed that it was one of our least stressful trips with all the kiddos & way cooler than the zoo. We couldn't believe that the exibits held their attention for so long & with no meltdowns.
As for Pierce, he does love Sophia! If you ever need a sitter, you know we are up for the job. Anabelle would have a blast with Adie Cakes & Pierce would help take care of Sophia. He really is a great Big brother. HE's going to be a wonderful daddy some day (to you grandchildren). Ask Andy if that changes his mind about our little marriage arrangement.
We need to get together again soon!
Love you guys!
Kell