Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Pregnancy Aversions and Cravings

My cravings for ice cream, milkshakes and Moe's (an upscale fast-food Mexican restaurant) has not lessened since Annabelle was born. While I was pregnant with Annabelle, those were my major cravings.

Maybe that explains why I sent hubby to get a $2.88 gallon of Breyers ice cream from Kroger this evening while I continued to try and get Annabelle down for the evening. Not because I'm pregnant! Let me reiterate, I am not pregnant!

Moe's was definitely my favorite, and I probably would have eaten it 7 days a week if my husband could have stood it too. I know that on some weeks we did eat it for several meals. I typically ordered a taco salad with chicken. I still LOVE Moe's! Of course, some people believe that if you eat a lot of spicy foods while you are pregnant, then your baby will have a lot of hair at birth! Maybe that explains Annabelle's head of hair!

And during my pregnancy, Chick-fil-A came out with their delicious milkshakes. The danger in this is that we have a Chick-fil-A less than a mile from our house! Unfortunately, several months before Annabelle was born, they decided to close down our Chick-fil-A to remodel. I was devastated! They did open it back up before Annabelle was born, but it was definitely closer to the very end of my pregnancy. I mean, seriously, how could they do that to me? Didn't they know that a pregnant woman lived less than a mile from them? Nonsense!

I also craved Publix Ultimate Subs early on in my pregnancy, but it was probably more because it was the only thing I could tolerate during the first trimester, so we had those subs for many meals. My husband very quickly got tired of eating them. I cannot blame him much though.

McDonald's and pretty much every other fast food restaurant (besides Chick-fil-A and Arby's) was off my list as well, and frankly, just thinking of McDonald's in particular turned my stomach. One night during my first trimester, I had left the office late (probably around 11:00 p.m.), and pretty much the only place still open on my way home was McDonald's. I guess I could have resorted to a grocery store, but I would never have made it into the grocery story without the typical dry heaving of pregnancy. I started feeling really queasy as I pulled through the drive thru. I ordered my Big Mac and then headed for the house to eat it. Looking back, I should have pulled over and just eaten the Big Mac in the parking lot, but instead, I opted to drive the 5 additional minutes to make it home, and I ate that Big Mac in the comfort of my own home. That was the first and last time I ate McDonald's while I was pregnant. I pretty much forced myself to eat it as I knew if I didn't that I would continue to feel queasy. I laughed the entire time I ate it, simply because I had to keep a sense of humor during that first trimester. I am just surprised it stayed down on my stomach. And, I do believe that I actually had eaten dinner earlier in the evening, so this was just a midnight snack.

Another night during my first trimester, my husband went out and got an Arby's Beef-N-Cheddar and Potato Cakes for dinner because the only thing I could stand to do that evening was lye in bed. I ate my Arby's that evening in bed and proceeded to throw it up shortly afterwards. If memory serves me correctly, this is the only time I actually threw up something of substance while I was pregnant. I did the dry heaving thing a lot of mornings during the first trimester, but it was always just that nasty yellow acid. Sorry for the lovely description, but you've probably all been there already! I just knew that I would never eat Arby's again after that episode, but I did, and fortunately, it does not turn my stomach.

I remember also craving popcorn shrimp one evening. I am not sure what triggered this craving, but when my husband asked me what sounded good for dinner, I told him "popcorn shrimp from Captain D's." There are not too many Captain D's around, and he could not find one (although he did try very hard). So, instead, I asked him to stop by the local Sam's Club and pick up a box of the frozen popcorn shrimp. He did, and I enjoyed those popcorn shrimp that evening, but I believe they stayed in my freezer until after Annabelle was born as I never (or rarely) touched them again. I guess it was just a one-time craving.

I would typically eat breakfast every morning as soon as my feet hit the floor. I typically enjoyed Honey Nut Cheerios and a banana. And, I also enjoyed a glass of cold milk. This is very unusual for me as I pretty much NEVER drink milk. But, I seemed to crave the milk in the morning, and it actually tasted good to me. Oddly enough, I just had a small glass of cold milk on Monday night because I wanted to dip some Trader Joe's Peppermint Oreos into the milk. It just sounded good. But, I probably haven't had a glass of milk in 9 months or more.

For my midday meal (during my first trimester), I typically had a Kroger yogurt and/or a Dole cup of fruit (the cups you can buy already sealed).

Also during my first trimester, I had to eat lunch no later than 12:00 p.m. And keep in mind, this was after I had arrived at the office probably closer to 10:45 a.m. after eating breakfast between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. And, this was after my midday snack around 10:45 a.m. Fortunately (and unfortunately), my office offers flex hours, so I always was a late comer to the office. I don't think I would have made it (without throwing up everywhere) if I had to be at work by 8:00 a.m. (or earlier for that matter).

I also enjoyed a carton of Martini's Apple Juice every morning (during my entire pregnancy) after I had arrived at the office. Our office keeps the drinks stocked with Coca-Cola's, juices, etc., so I always helped myself as soon as I turned my computer on for the morning. I wonder how much money my pregnancy cost my employer! Sorry employer!

For lunches during my first trimester, Jason's Deli was a favorite because it was convenient and nearby. And, they had an ice cream machine that was open to everyone who ate anything there! And, the mini muffins (included with any meal) were yummy as well! I would eat my lunch ever so slowly in hopes that I could get it all down (while still feeling queasy). I remember one day I craved a tuna sandwich, and after ordering it, I felt guilty the entire time I ate it because of the mercury in tuna. I don't typically eat or crave tuna, so I wonder if I craved it simply because I kept hearing and reading about the mercury levels in tuna.

I remember thinking (before I was pregnant) that pregnant women ate a lot at one sitting. That is so untrue (at least for me)! You sit down for a meal thinking you are starving, and then you cannot even finish half of it. Of course, an hour later you are hungry again.

And, for me, a salad was almost always off my list! I loved salads, but they never completely filled me up, and I was always starving later.

And, something else no one ever tells you about pregnancy (and childbirth), after you have a baby, and if you breastfeed, you will eat as if you are pregnant with twins! I swear that I ate more after giving birth than I ever did while I was pregnant. I am just hoping that my appetite will decrease after Annabelle stops nursing. If not, my body will definitely balloon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You haven't shared the good news with everybody else, yet? Oh go, ahead 'fess up. I hate keeping secrets! Oops! Sorry!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't touch a glass of tea until after you guys came. Made me totally sick. Then again, so did everything else, but you wouldn't understand that, would you? Buttermilk and raw apples. That was my substenance for the few months. The last ones were a little better. Good thing I loved buttermilk.

You still believe that's all mind over matter, don't you? It isn't! May you be so lucky the next time (I mean, this time!)

Believe me, there are women out there who are hoping you get a little taste of what it's really like to be pregnant. Not me because I know how awful it is to be so sick. And how I still managed to have an almost nine pound baby is unbelievable! He ate it all, and continued to for many years.

I am glad you were able to eat healthy, though, because she's a precious, sweet little girl.