Now I know what my husband gets to see every night when he gets home from work (when he's been working in town).
I've really been having a hard time lately because hubby has been traveling a great deal this year, and then for the better part of this year, he was gone almost all day on Saturdays too because he was taking a course to sit for his professional exam. Thank goodness the course is behind him now!
I guess you could say I've been getting a little "burned out" with this job of being a "stay-at-home mom." I know, I know...I've got a long way to go, but I'm tired of dealing with a fussy baby by myself day in and day out. And, I know, it can always be worse! I honestly don't see how single mothers do it!
So, my husband was home on Thursday night, and he got book reading duty before bedtime while I got a break to wash the dishes from dinner. Isn't that sad? I consider washing dishes getting a relaxing break!
Well, I walked in while he was in the middle of reading "Old Mother Hubbard" to Annabelle. I realized at that moment that I have been so caught up in trying to make it through every day of reading the same books over and over again and mealtimes and bath time that I have been missing some of the simple joys of watching a child grow.
I can picture her now. She sat in his lap, and she stared so intently at that little board book. She loves those board books that her Grandmama and Granddaddy bought her for her first Christmas! And, most of the time it isn't because she wants to read them. She normally just likes to hold them and take them out of their little box. Well, while she sat there, he read the part about the dog saying "bow wow." She raised her little eyebrows with curiosity, and she then repeated what he said. She said, "Bow wow." It was precious!
And, over the last few days, "Wow" has become her new favorite word. I listened to her this afternoon after I had laid her down for her nap. She carried on a conversation with herself, and the conversation consisted of "Wow!" Almost every word out of her mouth was "Wow!"
It is actually really nice to watch Annabelle with her Daddy. I love seeing her and him interact together, and I think sometimes I appreciate her development more when I see it from the outside. I just wish he were home more during the week for me to enjoy watching them play and interact together.
3 years ago
1 comment:
It is a little after 4 AM and I am enjoying reading your write up of her Dad reading to her. She is now saying so many sounds and words, and she will begin to move quickly in her talking. Before long she will be saying Mama so much you will get tired of hearing it, but you will know she is a growing girl. It is so nice to see them change each day. She is really a nice "Angel"
Post a Comment