Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Toys for a Three Year Old

If you are in the market for toys for a three year old for a birthday, etc., you may want to take note of this list. Well, this list will start off small and gradually grow as I think of things to add.

I don't know about all of the other parents out there, but my sweet child rarely plays with those nice toys that everyone buys her that just clutters my house to no end. Instead, she just uses her imagination with my stuff or trash for that matter! I've added a date since I plan to grow this list during this year while she's still my little toddler.

1. Empty Christmas envelope from Aunt Mary (December 2009) - Used as "wrapping paper" to "wrap" presents for her Mommy. She would say to me, "Here you go Mommy. Do you want to open your present and see what's inside?" She had stuffed the envelope with random "gifts" for me. This empty envelope has been sitting on my kitchen counter since December because at first I was afraid she would ask for it again after I had thrown it away and then I've been meaning to blog about it so it has laid there as a reminder to me. And now, it is time to throw that envelope away! Rid my house of this clutter!!!

2. Cedar blocks and cedar hanger rings (January 2010) - Used as "chicken nuggets." Oddly enough, she even received a McDonald's play food set for Christmas. But, like I said, what three year old really needs toys when they've got an imagination!

3. Empty child-sized McDonald's cup with lid (January 10th, 2010) - She considered using to make a "rattle." See #4 below. She thought of using the McDonald's cup first. She told me we could put grapes in it to make it rattle. My thoughts were, "You've been hanging out with Grandmama way too much! This is a piece of trash that we discard. It is not to be used as a rattle."

4. Silo cups (January 12th, 2010) - Used to make a "rattle." On her own, without me even saying a thing, she placed a crayon inside of a red cup and then placed a pink cup on top of the red cup facing the opposite direction of the red cup and said, "We can make it into a rattle." Yes, I guess we could. Or, we could just drink out of them! I did offer to tape them together though.

5. Styrofoam packaging from a Crockpot box (January 13th, 2010) - Used to make bedrooms. See blog post, "Exploding Imagination" on January 13th for more detail.

4 comments:

Grandmomma said...

Never stifle the creativity in a child. You never know what great cure she may someday discover. And besides it's just plain fun watching to see what comes out of that precious little head of hers.

Grandmomma said...

Hey now!? #3-Be careful how you toss my name out there with so much blame. She's a little tree-hugger in the making, you know. Recycle, recycle, recycle. The longer she keeps it, the more things she figures out what she can do with it! Keeps the brain alive and the landfills less cluttered until she really can't think of anything else to do with it. Or you really do toss it.

Bebe Blogger said...

I agree with you! Creativity is so important! I remember using all sorts of everyday 'odds and ends' when I was little and hopes Audrey will do the same. I laughed out loud at the cedar as nuggets. Very clever!

Pigs said...

SO true! I will add oatmeal canisters and old shampoo bottles to the list.