That is the time that I finally got Annabelle down for the evening! Yes, so far, this may go down in history as one of our worst nights yet (as for bedtime). And, I know, believe me, I know, I am sure to have one far worse!
Grandmama and Granddaddy came over this afternoon around 11:45 to babysit Annabelle while I went to the office for another continuing professional education session. I actually left the house to head for the office at 1:18 p.m. (to be exact), and I didn't arrive back home again until closer to 7:15 or 7:30 p.m.
So, when I got home, I ate my Chick-fil-A that I had stopped and got on the way home, and then visited with my parents for awhile. Annabelle seemed to be in a fairly pleasant mood, and by the time 8:00 and then 8:30 rolled around, she still didn't seem very tired. So, at 9:00 p.m., I decided to start getting her ready for bed, and we said our goodbyes to Grandmama and Granddaddy. I probably started nursing her around 9:15 p.m., but as soon as she was finished eating, she decided it was time to read a book again, and she honestly pitched a fit when I told her we would do no such thing. She did not like that one bit, and she proceeded to throw her little temper tantrum until she finally got her way. I have got to stop giving in to these temper tantrums. She has not felt well since Wednesday though, so I hated to hold her down to rock her to sleep if something else was bothering her.
So, shortly after her little temper tantrum, I hear her Daddy close a door, so we know that he is home from his day trip and day flight to Raleigh, North Carolina. I suppose he should say hello to his little girl, so they bond for a little while, and she gets more play time before her Mommy finally decides it is time for bed again. In the mean time, I sent Daddy to get me a milkshake from the newly opened Steak 'N' Shake right up the road. And, no, I am not pregnant!
Well, once again, she's having nothing to do with sleeping. Before Daddy had left, we even tried to give her a little bit of Target brand Tylenol. Maybe her teeth are really hurting her. She opened her mouth and took the liquid Tylenol without a problem. She is definitely her Daddy's child when it comes to medicine! Where did she learn to actually like medicine? I rarely give her any medicine at all. That stuff really should not taste so good to them. Does anyone else think that is a little scary that it taste so good?
Well, the Tylenol didn't work, and Annabelle is once again screaming at the top of her lungs, and I mean, SCREAMING! So, I stand up and rock Annabelle in my arms, back and forth, back and forth. She proceeds to babble and pat me on my back to "love me" back. Then, she realizes my motive, and she starts screaming and arching her back to get down again. Finally, after I let her down (my patience is running thin), she continues to stand still and scream.
Is anyone feeling sorry for me yet? Ha! I know what you are all thinking right now...Poor Annabelle! Oh, poor, sweet Annabelle! What could possibly be wrong with her? Poor child! Please don't be so sympathetic with her. She is just very, very stubborn.
So, I am tired...it has been a long week as my husband was really only home one day this past weekend (Sunday), and he's been working very late nights all week, and he has not gotten home until after Annabelle's bedtime 3 out of the 5 nights. And, the other two nights he got home very close to bedtime (or in one case, Friday night (tonight), he got home before bedtime only because someone wouldn't go to sleep).
I call Annabelle's Daddy on the cell phone around 10:15 p.m. to find out where he is. He is just leaving Steak 'N' Shake, and they are closed! What?!?! They're closed? Isn't Steak 'N' Shake supposed to be open 24 hours? Bummer! Big, huge bummer!
Well, I tell him that I am planning to take Annabelle for a car ride to get her to fall asleep. He said he'd be home in just a minute. He gets home, we pack up the troops, and we're off. Well, that sure sounded easy, didn't it? I should mention that Annabelle was all excited about the car ride until she realized that I was going to strap her into her car seat, and she then, once again, realized my motive...to get her to go to sleep.
Okay, the SUV is cranked, and Annabelle leans her head to one side with Teddy Bear clutched in her arms. We haven't even pulled out of the driveway, and I think she is going to fall asleep! But, oh wait, Daddy pops in a cassette tape with soft music to help quiet her down. Big mistake! She woke up, and she stayed awake for a good 20 minutes. Her Daddy decided he needed to run by his office for just a minute, so we travel that way. She was still awake, and she was laughing and looking at all of the cars and lights. Go to sleep child! But, nope, she's not going to do it. We get to her Daddy's office, and I really didn't feel comfortable sitting in the car, so we all trot in to Daddy's office at 11:00 p.m. for him to send himself an e-mail. Don't ask!
Okay, she is exhausted at this point, and I can tell! So, we get in the car, buckle her in, and we're off again. I tell her Daddy to take the interstate North instead of South so that she'll have more time to ride to fall asleep. Low and behold, she finally falls asleep. In the mean time, I see the Varsity in my future, and I decide that I want an Orange Freeze from the Varsity. Come to find out...they close at 10:00 p.m. Aargghh!!! And, I'll reiterate once again, I am NOT pregnant!
So, we turn around, go home, and she's still asleep. Hallelujah! So, we get home, pull in the driveway...she's still asleep...I get out and slowly start to unbuckle her...she's still asleep...I start to lift her from the car seat...she's still asleep...and then as I lift her up into my arms, she starts screaming! Here we go again! This isn't the "I am going to cry until you give me my paci back" scream. This is the "I am not going to sleep" scream. Great!
So, I take her into the house, I nurse her, maybe for 15 minutes...she screams again when I try to give her the pacifier, so we switch sides instead. And, finally, finally (cross your fingers), she finally fell asleep, and I laid her down.
How much longer do you think I have until she awakens again? It is now 12:42 a.m.
I think the poor baby is miserable for one, with a cold, and for two, with teething (I think her molars are cutting through). She's never had problems with teething before, but this time, unlike any other time, she is drooling a lot more. And, I wonder if this "cold" and runny nose has anything to do with her teething. Well, I am thinking she still has a cold since both my husband and I aren't feeling so great as we are about to call it a night. I definitely feel a cold coming on! Lovely!
2 years ago
4 comments:
Well, I guess she was still excited from seeing her Grandmama and Granddaddy! Grandmama and I were commenting about how good she has been all the time we had her yesterday! In fact we just let her sit in her chair at Chick-fa-la after we all finished eating for a little while and she was perfectly happy. And that long nap she had yesterday afternoon could have had something to do with her not going to sleep. It is 4:20 am now, as I got up to check to see if we have snow yet.
What a tough night! Gram & Gramps didn't give her an espresso did they? :) Just wanted to say thanks for the blogroll listing--visited google analytics and found that I've gotten lots of traffic from your site. I appreciate the link!
Christopher's 2 year molars are coming in and he's got the same behavior going on - plus he's up every hour or two at night. Frozen blueberries and chipped ice from QT help Mr. C with his teeth. Hang in there. This too shall pass.
Thanks for leaving the comment Tracey! I'll try your tip as well as your tip on the ice cream and milkshakes. She just had a molar show up on Monday, so I know now that was her problem! Poor baby! That tooth looks huge!
Post a Comment