Annabelle received the Little Tikes Shopping Cart from her Uncle, Aunt and Cousins on her Daddy's side of the family for Christmas this year. I thought maybe we would put it away in the shed and bring it back out in a few months since she got so much for Christmas already, and I thought she'd enjoy something new in a few months. It is a shame her birthday and Christmas fall so close together as all of her new toys arrive within the same time frame. Maybe next time we should plan for a May, June or July baby!
So, anyhow, I changed my mind because I knew how much Annabelle would really enjoy playing with the Little Tikes Shopping Cart because she loves to put small toys into baskets and small containers, so on Monday, December 31st (I believe), I had my husband open the box and put together the Little Tikes Shopping Cart.
Well, it was instantly a hit! I thought it would be nice to have Annabelle clean up around the house by placing her toys (that are everywhere) into the Shopping Cart and then rolling them to her bedroom to put them away. I even showed her how to place "Teddy" in the front of the shopping cart. However, she didn't like that too much. She seemed to think that "Teddy" needed to ride in the basket part of the shopping cart with his face down towards the ground. Poor Teddy! I tried to tell her that she needed to place Teddy in the front just like Mommy lets her ride up front when we go grocery shopping, but she didn't seem to care.
So, anyhow, I get her started cleaning up and "shopping" with her shopping cart, and I then head off to the kitchen to clean up a little bit. Well, she is not far behind me with the shopping cart being pulled behind her. No big deal, right? Sure, no big deal until she starts pushing and pulling the shopping cart into my kitchen cabinets and stainless steel appliances! These aren't just ordinary kitchen cabinets either. Back in 2005 (pre-Annabelle), my husband and I took a lot of time and energy and need I say, money, designing our "dream kitchen." And, it is just that, my dream kitchen! I love my kitchen, and I am very protective of my kitchen cabinets. And, if I can help it, I won't have a Little Tikes Shopping Cart scratching them all up.
Needless to say, this is inevitably out of my hands! Despite my love for my cabinets, I love my daughter so much more, and if she did happen to scratch and scar for life my kitchen cabinets and stainless steel appliances, I would refrain from yelling, screaming or crying and instead direct her into a different direction. Of course, I would probably be cringing inside, but, what are you going to do?
Well, you thought I was finished with that story, didn't you? Nope, I have to mention that Annabelle pretty much only likes to play with her Little Tikes Shopping Cart in the kitchen. This afternoon, the Shopping Cart was in the living room, and Annabelle and I were both in the living room, but she decided that she needed to pull the Shopping Cart into the kitchen. She got to the threshold between the kitchen and dining room, and just as she did, I pulled her and the Shopping Cart back into the dining room and closed the door going to the kitchen. She was NOT happy! She just pitched a little fit right then and there. I picked her up and held her, and she just cried. She wanted to play in the kitchen with her Shopping Cart. It didn't matter that I was not in the kitchen. The Shopping Cart, for some reason, is supposed to be played with in the kitchen. I think she likes the way it sounds as it bumps over the slate floors.
And, here is the cute part of the story of the Little Tikes Shopping Cart. Annabelle had found my checkbook earlier today, and she was walking around with the checkbook in the living room. I watched her to make sure that she wasn't going to rip out any checks, and she didn't. Apparently though, she found the checkbook again when I wasn't looking, and she dropped the checkbook into her Little Tikes Shopping Cart. She was going shopping! Not that I ever take a checkbook with me when I go shopping, but it was too cute to find that checkbook in her Shopping Cart. This evening, her Daddy discovered the checkbook in the Shopping Cart too, and he just laughed and said that "Annabelle really was going shopping" as he picked up the checkbook from the Shopping Cart.
3 years ago
2 comments:
A child has to have fun, Mommie's cabinets are not important as the learning of a little girl! You will have time down the road to correct her, but now you just have to keep moving her around and telling her a firm "No" without it being too loud! I missed seeing her today when we came by, and to see that new piece of furniture in her room, that her Dad made for her
What a change a baby makes! Fifteen months ago you wouldn't have had the attitude you have now about raising a baby. I'm glad for her sake and yours you've changed. Kitchen cabinets may come and go, but her happiness is forever.
Post a Comment