Yes, it snowed today in Hot 'Lanta! And, it was a beautiful sight. It has been an unusually warm winter here, so it was a pleasant surprise to have TWO snowstorms in one week. It first snowed earlier this week on Wednesday, January 16th. And, Wednesday was the first day (in Annabelle's lifetime) that she was introduced to snow. The last time I recall us having snow in the ATL was back in December 2001 or January 2002 (it was that particular winter though).
Annabelle woke up Wednesday morning with a cold, but when the snow started falling Wednesday afternoon, I could not resist bundling her up into her winter coat, hat and mittens to play in the snow. Of course, by the first time I got her bundled up in her winter attire, the snow stopped falling, and it had not accumulated on the ground at that point. But, after I had undressed her from her winter attire (naturally), the snow started falling again, so we went through the bundling routine once again to finally go and play in the snow that was finally accumulating on the ground. She really seemed to enjoy herself, but I'm not sure she thought too much about the snow. She enjoyed watching the snow more from the inside of the house.
Then today, Annabelle's Daddy and I took her outside to play in the snow after she woke up from her afternoon nap. Since this 15 month old little girl does not have any snow boots (for obvious reasons), we put her little feet into Zip lock Freezer Bags (quart size) and then fastened the bags to her little legs with some of my hair bands. The Zip lock Freezer Bags served as socks on top of her socks because we put her shoes on over the bags. We used socks as mittens with her real mittens on top of the socks too. However, we learned shortly (after she had played in the snow for a little while) that we should have also used plastic bags as mittens on top of the socks and under the real mittens. I eventually ran inside and grabbed some sandwich bags to go on top of the socks on her hands (and under the mittens) as her little hands were getting wet and cold.
Well, as I start to run towards the front door to drop the video camera back into the video camera bag, Annabelle stumbles by the little slide we have in the front yard, and she starts crying, so I run over to her, pick her up and comfort her. She seems fine, so I run back towards the house, video camera in hand, and I drop the video camera back into the camera bag right at the door. My husband is there with her the whole time taking pictures.
As I walk back towards her, I notice that she has blood dripping from her nose. And, yes, you guessed it! She has her very first nosebleed! Poor baby! I run over towards her because I am instantly concerned, but I realize quickly that her nose is not bleeding profusely. I left my husband to watch over her, and I ran inside the house to get some toilet paper to use as a tissue to wipe her little nose. She seemed fine, but I suspect she must have hit her nose pretty hard on the slide to cause a nosebleed. She didn't cry very much or for very long though.
We don't think she really liked the snow too much today. I think her little hands got too cold, and that was after I had even run back inside the house to get sandwich bags to put over the sock mittens and under the real mittens to protect her from the wet and cold snow.
Annabelle's Daddy tried to show her the snow by holding it in one of his hands for her to see, and she proceeded very quickly to sweep it off of his hand onto the ground every single time. She had such attitude about it too as if she were saying, "How dare you hold that stuff up to me!"
2 years ago
2 comments:
Oh, my poor baby girl! Where are the pictures you took? I need to see pictures of her in her first snow!
Would you please remind Annabelle, that she was out in the snow for the first time on my birthday! Also I really liked the part about the bags!! It is so beautiful to see the snow in the trees and on the ground. The bad part is we woke up with no power this morning.
Post a Comment