Thursday, May 14, 2009

Up on the Housetop

"No Mommy, that's a Christmas song!" she said as she covered my lips this evening when I started singing the first song for the evening to go through our normal nightly routine.

At last! Finally, maybe the end of "Up on the Housetop" is actually here (until December)!

I have been singing "Up on the Housetop" since Grandmama sang it to her one December night. And, since then, she has not allowed me to do otherwise. A meltdown over not singing "Up on the Housetop" was just not worth it to me.

So, why did she finally change her mind?

Well, she is obviously listening to her dear young mom (even though sometimes I'd beg to differ). I told her yesterday in random conversation, and very quickly, I might add, that "we need to stop singing "Up on the Housetop" at bedtime because that is a Christmas song."

So, I guess rambling random thoughts to my two and a half year old all day long because I have no one else to really talk to during the day does pay off!

Dear Grandmama,

If you ever again sing a different song than the normal bedtime routine songs, I will personally drive Annabelle over to your house at 9:00 or 10:00 at night and let you put her down for the evening, every evening, forever, until she's grown!

And, just as an FYI, the normal routine is as follows: The Made Up Song, Jesus Loves Me, Hush Little Baby and then her song of choice after she's been laid down into her crib.

Oh, and I'm afraid that "Up on the Housetop" (the first song originally, before The Made Up Song) has been replaced by singing her ABC's. I think I have you to think for that one too, but I'll let it slide. I needed something to replace "Up on the Housetop," and I thought singing her ABC's was more appropriate for the time being. Not to mention, I knew you had already sung that to her earlier in the day for naptime.

I'll work on teaching you to sing "The Made Up Song" as I know you don't know it, because, well, I made it up! Aren't I original?

Love your dearest and favorite daughter,

Annabelle's Mommy

No comments: